Grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference. “
There are things you can control. You can change that. You can let go of the rest. With this super simple retrospective you are going to separate the two.
In this example, we assume troubles in the cooperation between multiple teams. The retro is attended by the team members of the various teams.
- Draw a large circle on a whiteboard with a diameter that fills about 50% of the board
- Have the team members (of all teams) individually stick post-it’s with stumbling blocks.
- They stick it in the inner circle if they think that the teams can solve the problem among themselves. If not, they stick the post-it outside the circle.
- Then first discuss the items in the circle in a plenary session and link concrete actions to them.
- Then discuss the items outside the circle and try to come up with actions that can pull it into influence within the circle.
- The facilitator collects all items that are still pasted outside the circle and ensures that they reach the right person outside the teams.
Below an example.
Tip : we have made a handy Mural canvas that you can use for free.